History

chucky

Capitol Theatre

Our History

Historic exterior of the Capitol Theatre

1921

The beginning of a neighborhood landmark

The Capitol first opened April 8, 1921, as a silent movie house with a Wurlitzer organ, part of the larger Gordon Square Arcade complex.

The theater featured a large, 1,400-seat main auditorium and provided a romantic backdrop to the quickly growing neighborhood. Many residents report it was the location of choice for first dates.

In the 1930s, the Capitol was converted to a “talkie.” As the neighborhood’s fortunes declined in the second half of the 20th century, the Arcade complex deteriorated as well.

The Capitol closed in the early 1980s due to water infiltration and the lack of a climate-control system.

Efforts to restore the Gordon Square Arcade began in the early 1980s when Detroit Shoreway Community Development Organization secured one of the country’s first Urban Development Action Grants to replace the roof and stabilize the building.

With the advent of federal New Markets Tax Credits in the early 2000s, it became possible to assemble a financing package for the Capitol, which was also a centerpiece of the Gordon Square Arts District capital campaign.

Restored interior of the Capitol Theatre

2009

A classic theatre, thoughtfully restored

The $7.5 million renovation project began in 2008, and the Capitol reopened in October 2009 as a three-screen, all-digital movie theater.

Classically inspired architecture, woodwork, and original light fixtures have been restored to recreate the atmosphere of the 1920s-era silent movie palace, but with all the amenities of 21st-century technology.

The Capitol brings more than 60,000 patrons to the Gordon Square Arts District each year.

The Capitol is owned by  Northwest Neighborhoods CDC — formerly DSCDO — and was operated by Cleveland Cinemas until 2026 when management shifted to Arthouse Management.


It features Hollywood and independent films. A wide variety of special programming is also screened, including Happy Hour Classics, Summer Family Films, film festivals, and documentaries with question-and-answer sessions for community discussion.

Hero Image

Hero Image

Rich Text


Founded in 1939, the Plaza Theatre is Atlanta’s longest-running independent cinema. Designed in an Art-Deco style by architect George Harwell Bond, and located in the Briarcliff Plaza, the theatre opened with George Cukor’s The Women (1939) in the winter of that year. The cinema’s signature attraction, its 20-foot screen surrounded by golden curtains, originally entertained up to six-hundred patrons per screening in its heyday. The Plaza’s most iconic feature, and still original to this day, is its glorious marquee featuring a blue ‘wave’ at the crest, and its radiant and colorful billboard down below.

Despite over 80 years of tumultuous existence, the Plaza has persevered, having adapted a number of times throughout the century in order to survive—including a brief period as an adult cinema in the 1970s. By 1983, following a purchase by cinema proprietor George LeFont, the Plaza finally saw its first glimpse as Atlanta’s hub for arthouse and international films. Since then, a handful of owners and community members have helped solidify the Plaza’s place as the city’s cultural film center for generations to come.

In 2017, upon acquisition lead by Christopher Escobar and co-owners, the Plaza experienced a flourish of upgrades and additions, including two small auditoriums in place of the balcony, alongside projection upgrades like 4K digital and 35/70mm film. The Plaza audience now enjoys a robust slate of classic, cult, arthouse, and independent programming, in addition to an ever-growing slate of special events and community partnerships like the Rocky Horror Picture Show (with live shadow cast LDOD), the Plazadrome classic film series (a partnership with Videodrome, Atlanta’s only video store), Wussy Mag’s monthly queer camp film series, Silver Scream Spookshow and the nearly five-decades running annual Atlanta Film Festival.

The preservation of the Plaza Theatre would not be possible without the support of our loyal patrons, as well as the innovative stewardship by prior owners George LeFont, Jonathan & Gayle Rej and Michael Furlinger (all of whom now have auditoriums dedicated in their honor). To further ensure the survival of our beloved cinema, the Rej's founded The Plaza Theatre Foundation (PTF) in 2009, with a mission to restore, preserve and share Atlanta's historic Plaza Theatre for the artistic, educational, and charitable benefit of our community.


Footer

Capitol Theatre Cleveland